Here’s a great recipe for Gorilla Bread that we discovered on Paula’s Home Cooking.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- 2 (12-ounce) cans refrigerated biscuits (10 count)
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray a bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray. Mix the granulated sugar and cinnamon. In a saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar over low heat, stirring well; set aside. Cut the cream cheese into 20 equal cubes. Press the biscuits out with your fingers and sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar. Place a cube of cream cheese in the center of each biscuit, wrapping and sealing the dough around the cream cheese. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the nuts into the bottom of the bundt pan. Place half of the prepared biscuits in the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, pour half of the melted butter mixture over the biscuits, and sprinkle on 1/2 cup of nuts. Layer the remaining biscuits on top, sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon sugar, pour the remaining butter mixture over the biscuits, and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of nuts. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Place a plate on top and invert.
Anything made with Lemon is a big hit with my dad. Here’s a recipe for a Lemon Chiffon Cake
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup lemon glaze (Read below for recipe)
- Shredded lemon zest to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 325 degree Fahrenheit. Butter and flour a 10-inch Bundt or tube pan. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar. Add the oil, lemon zest and juice and milk.
- Beat the egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Use a large rubber spatula to fold them into the batter. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes or until springy to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Turn out onto a rack and let cool completely. Turn top side up and drizzle with the glaze. Decorate with the lemon zest.
Lemon Glaze Recipe:
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 4-5 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- Place the icing sugar in a medium bowl. Beat in 4 tbsp lemon juice and zest until smooth, adding the additional tablespoon of lemon juice as needed to make a good spreading consistency.
There’s nothing better than a nice cool glass of lemonade on a hot day. Well, if you are in the mood for cake, you can have your cake and your lemonade too!
First, bake your favorite lemon cake. (from a mix or from scratch)
Then, combine a cup of thawed lemonade concentrate with a cup of powdered sugar. Drizzle this evenly over your cake. (Poke holes in your warm cake with a fork before drizzling)
Put the cake in the fridge until it’s cold and then frost with a container of lemon frosting.